If you are considering LASIK, it is important to discuss the benefits and risks that could result from correcting vision with surgery rather than eyeglasses or contact lenses.
Each LASIK candidate has a unique set of general and eye health circumstances and lifestyle goals that need to be carefully assessed with their surgeon before electing to go ahead with the surgery. Although LASIK benefits many people, for others it may not be the best choice.
Choosing to undergo LASIK surgery is an important, potentially life-changing decision. Prior to your LASIK surgery, you will get the chance to ask your surgeon all the questions you want to ask. To help you make an informed decision, Dr. Boling at Boling Vision Center in Elkhart recommends the following list of questions to ask during your consultation.
Get to Know Your LASIK Surgeon
- What is your professional training?
- How many years of experience do you have?
- How many LASIK procedures have you performed?
- Do you perform any other types of vision treatment?
- How many of your patients achieve vision results of 20/20 or better?
- How do you handle complications?
- Do you have testimonials from previous patients I can read?
Familiarize Yourself with the Procedure
- Am I a candidate for LASIK?
- If I’m not eligible for LASIK, do you offer other laser vision correction surgeries?
- How should I prepare for the procedure?
- Do you use the latest LASIK technology?
- Do you perform bladeless LASIK surgery?
- What kind of laser will you be using to perform my procedure?
- How long does the procedure take?
- Is LASIK painful?
- What results can I reasonably expect?
- Is LASIK permanent?
- Will I need laser vision correction again?
- What are possible side effects and complications associated with LASIK?
- What financing options do you offer?
Learn What to Expect During the Recovery
- Will I be able to drive myself home after surgery?
- Will I be given pain medication for discomfort?
- How long is the recovery?
- Should I take time off from work? If so, how much?
- When can I exercise?
- When will I see my final vision results?
- What type of long-term follow-up care do you offer?
- How can I maintain clear vision after LASIK?
Dr. Boling at Boling Vision Center has years of experience performing LASIK and other laser vision correction surgeries in Elkhart. To find out if you’re a candidate, schedule a consultation with us. Contact us at 574-598-4572 today.